Sleeping Triple in a Double Bed

I have been thinking about how things have changed in sleeping arrangements over the years. It started when Rob and I went to visit the Biltmore House in North Carolina. We went through room after gigantic room and the thing that struck us was the size of the beds. No matter how enormous the room .. it seemed that the bed was like a 3/4 bed and shorter than the beds we use now.

The average kid growing up in Canada today has their own bed if not their own room. Mom and her 3 sisters shared a bed while they were growing up. Mom slept on the outer edge because she was the brave one who had to check out the night noises. It may have been that sleeping with someone was part of the heating arrangement to guard against the cold Canadian winter. Karen and I always snuggled together for warmth .. she had particularly cold feet .. which she loved to warm against me. In the morning we would pull our clothes under the covers to warm them up before putting them on and making the dash down to the kitchen where the heat would be building up in the wood stove. If we got company .. we moved over and added another to the bed. I have been told that this picture is the Ganes boys with my brother, Paul, up against the wall. No need for extra sheets and blankets when the company came .. there was always space for another to crawl in and share the warmth.
There is a family legend that long ago on a winter day one set of the aunts & uncles got married. A horrible blizzard blew up and that night the bride, groom, bestman and matron of honor all had to share a double bed .. sleeping crosswise on it. Elsie could tell me if this is truth .. but it does go to show that times have changed a great deal. Kris & Alain and Kif & Erin went out to buy their beds after their weddings and they bought queen size beds. When we got married .. a double bed was considered big enough. I wonder just how big the beds are going to need to be in the future .. I know there are several king size beds in the family now. What is bigger than a king size? I think there is something called a California king .. and after that who knows how big a bed can be. It appears that Canadians need their personal space .. even when it comes to sleeping.

Comments

Popular Posts