Two Weeks In

 Two weeks into January and I am still loving retirement.  I have been working on finishing up sewing jobs that have hung about in boxes for some time. First up was the appliqués that I had ironed on to our Christmas stockings in a rush some years back.  They are actually bags with a picture of a stocking on them.  We are no longer doing stockings with the kids and grandkids but I will use them as their Christmas gift bags.  All 15 are now in good working order!

The second task I am working on is repair of some appliqué work I had done in 2011.  I made some little houses for Gray and Esme that were like a tent that went over a card table.  Gray called his "I see you" because he would hide in it then peek out to say "I see you!" Esme was loving Hello Kitty at the time so I found Hello Kitty coloring pages and upsized them for her tent. 

Following some instructions I found on the internet, I used iron on web and then finished the edges with fabric paint.  The kids loved them!






Turns out the fabric paint was not enough to keep the edges sealed so I am now going over them with a stitch that keeps the paint on as well as keeping the fabric attached. The kids don't use them anymore but they want them as keepsakes from Gramma.  That will keep me busy for a bit.

Third .. I have to do some repairs on a quilt that my mother made.  It is the leftover bits of cloth from things she sewed for our family and others.  A couple of the cloths that she used were not very strong and have disintegrated.  I will replace them with older pieces of clothing that fit in with her quilt.  There are pieces of dresses she wore, pieces of dresses made for my sisters and me, pieces of dresses she made for her friend who was a missionary in Taiwan, pieces of curtains .. so many pieces .. so many memories held in that quilt.

Yup .. loving this whole retirement thing!

Oh yeah .. the declutter continues.  Rob took a load from the basement to the recycling plant and has a few items up for sale on Facebook Marketplace courtesy of our daughter, Mich.😁


Comments

Popular Posts